Select presentations & testimony
Waterfront Policy recommendations submitted to the de Blasio transition team "Unlocking the potential of NYC’s waterfront, A progressive road map for the Sixth Borough." These were publicly released in May, 2016.
Portify as we fortify. Don't let Sandy drown a good idea. Our president Carolina Salguero argued in a 2016 presentation at AIANY that we cannot let post-Sandy resiliency plans drown the good ideas of Vision 2020. To activate our waterways, we need apertures, not solid seawalls.
Other ways we directly shape policy are our resiliency work on Red Hook's NY Rising committee and work on the Sunset Park Task Force shaping the NYC EDC for the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal (SBMT).
VISION 2020 - NYC'S NEW COMPREHENSIVE WATERFRONT PLAN
11/12/10 PortSide input to Vision 2020 During 2010, NYC conducted a year-long process to create a comprehensive waterfront plan. This was the second such plan in the City's history, and it updated one from the 1980s. The name reflects the commitment to update the plan every ten years, so this plan is in effect until 2020. More...
- Vision 2020 has an action component for the NYC EDC known as WAVES.
- Related Department of City Planning Waterfront Revitalization Program
Select PortSide Testimony to the City Council Waterfront Committee
- 12/5/16 Waterfronts Committee, hearing topic: Improving Boater Safety in the City's Waterways
- 5/19/15 Subcommittee on Landmarks, Public Siting and Maritime Uses, topic LU 0224-2015, proposed maritime lease between the New York City Department of Small Business Services (SBS) and the New York City Economic Development Corporation (EDC) for South Brooklyn Marine Terminal (SBMT) and related blogpost
- 3/16/12 "Transforming NYC's Waterfront - one year update on Waterfront Action Agenda (WAVES). PortSide led an effort to have this hearing have a major focus on the needs of historic vessels in NYC. Here is PortSide testimony, and see our blogpost for more testimony about this hearing which generated impassioned advocacy for historic ships.
- 12/14/06 South Brooklyn Working Waterfront oversight hearing by the Land Use Subcommittee Landmarks, Public Siting, Maritime Uses, and the Committee on Waterfronts
- 10/31/06 Rules of the Road, sharing the waterway City Council Waterfronts Committee
- 2/13/06 General waterfront issues City Council Waterfronts Committee
- 6/15/05 Regulatory Obstacles to Waterfront Development (the DEC) City Council Waterfronts Committee, includes a discussion of DEC policy's effect on Red Hook, Brooklyn.
- 1/12/05 Waterfront Employment City Council Waterfronts Committee