172’ HISTORIC SHIP AVAILABLE FOR PHOTO, FILM, TV SHOOTS
Our location is here in Red Hook, Brooklyn, next to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and Pioneer Works. Ship can be moved for shoots.
The tanker MARY A. WHALEN is an atmospheric, nautical location.
She is the last of her kind in the USA, built in 1938, and undergoing restoration.
Location fees benefit the non-profit organization PortSide NewYork based on the ship.
- Great variety of exterior and interior shooting spaces
- Uncluttered 90’ main deck. Additional fore and aft decks.
- Several interior spaces with removable skylights allowing lighting or camera booms to work from outside the space.
- Roomy captain’s cabin has portholes accessible on all 4 sides for similarly easy lighting and shooting.
- Large wheelhouse with shooting access on 3 sides.
- Fantastic kitchen is a half circle 31 ½ feet wide.
- Gritty engine room.
- Ship is 172 feet long, 31 ½ feet wide.
Brochure - with images (PDF)
PortSide NewYork, aboard the tanker MARY A. WHALEN
P.O. Box 195, Red Hook Station,
Brooklyn, NY 11231
PortSide NewYork is a living lab for 21st century urban waterways. Our focus is the water part of the WATERfront, the BLUEspace,or NYC's Sixth Borough.
Our programs, services and advocacy show how to combine the working waterfront, public access and community development. Our mobile program unit, the historic ship MARY A. WHALEN, holds our offices and is the site of many of our programs.
We are located on Pier 11, Atlantic Basin next to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
Our education, culture, workforce development and neighborhood promotion programs - all on a water theme - bring the communities ashore and afloat together, for the benefit of all.