The MARY A. WHALEN
She is on the National Register of Historic Places, to understand why, see her history page.
When & where to see her
See our Visitor Info page for full details.
OHNY weekend tours! Sunday 10/16/16, 10am-5pm, tours every 15 minutes. FREE
TankerTime: weekdays 10-5:30pm. Summer 2016 on Sunset TankerTime on the Second Sundays of June, July, August and September, 5-10pm. Bring a take-out dinner from great Red Hook restaurants and enjoy a sunset! Selections from our maritime library will be available to read while you are here.
The MARY A. WHALEN is located at the south end of Pier 11, in Atlantic Basin, Red Hook, Brooklyn, next to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.
Since the MARY A. WHALEN worked so long (1938 to 1993) and over such a wide region (the whole northeast) she is a great vehicle for teaching various subject areas. We customize our ship-based programs and make vivid, experiential educational experiences:
- for children, college students, professors, the general public and bilingual audiences.
- teaching history, economics, marine science, maritime training and skills applicable to several trades.
- telling a human story. We are in contact with over 40 former crew members.
- teaching fuel distribution, consumption and sustainability issues from the 1930's until now. She was built before Americans used so much electricity, so she makes great use of natural light and ventilation -- another aspect of sustainability we explain during TankerTours.
- The MARY worked everywhere making her a great vehicle to explain the whole NY-NJ port
- the NY-NJ port is the largest petroleum through-port in the USA. It fuels the northeast. We tell that story.
- Our Guide to the words for ship parts
Thanks to our sponsors and partners!
The exterior of the MARY A. WHALEN is being restored in large part with labor from the painters' union District Council 9 which is using the ship as a training site. We give them a site, they give us labor, and we partner in training union labor. The paint is thanks to a generous donation by International Paint.