On Saturday May 26, 1-9pm, PortSide invites Red Hook NYCHA residents to experiences for kids and adults on our historic ship, the tanker Mary A. Whalen. We want you to have a great day with us, and come back for more! Experiences that day include:
Update on raffle items! Raffles will be drawn at 6pm
- NYC Ferry one (1) 30-Day Pass, a $121 value
- Wet Whistle Wines: (2) gift certificates, each for two people to go to a wine tasting seminar. Each set of two has a $70 value
- Brooklyn Ice House (2) $20 gift certificates
- More coming soon!
- TankerTours (tours inside and around the ship)
- TankerTime (more info below)
- 2pm dance performance by youth from Cora Dance
- 3pm Peter Piper the Balloon Meister makes balloon toys for kids and adults
- time to be announced: a book reading for children
- time to be announced: a talk about African American Maritime Heritage
- ArtTable and maritime toys for kids
- line-throwing with Arsenio Martinez (how crew throw big docklines when docking a tugboat)
- occasional seagull feeding sessions
- job info with reps from NYC Ferry and our partners District Council 9 (the painters union)
During the TankerTours, the main deck will be open for TankerTime for people to picnic, relax, read books from our maritime library, children can play with the maritime toys for tots and the ArtTable drawing supplies.
After the TankerTours, TankerTime will continue for people to picnic (BYOB and food), relax, read books from our maritime library, play with the maritime toys for tots, use coloring books at the ArtTable. Come socialize or just chill out in a hammock and enjoy the sunset.
NOTE: one Fleet Week Navy destroyer will be open to the public at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal during the day. Come see two ships!
Part of the “MARY Month of May” festival in honor of the 80th birthday or our ship MARY A. WHALEN.