Volunteer on a historic ship in the fascinating neighborhood of Red Hook, Brooklyn.
Volunteering at PortSide was featured in Time Out!
We are next to the new NYC Ferry dock in Red Hook! 25 minutes to lower Manhattan!
To get involved, call 917-414-0565 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send an email describing what kind of work you want to do (or don’t want to do), your relevant experience (if any) and the kind of hours you have available and on what days.
Volunteer opportunities are diverse:
Website design. We want a new one!
Architect and small space design: We could use renderings for program spaces we are negotiating to get in a building alongside the ship. Can you design custom furniture and storage units for our shipboard office spaces? Better design would help us fit everything.
2017 update: we are particularly interested in help from people with trade skills (welding, plumbing, refinishing of woodwork, painting).
- Marine ops advisor and purchasing agent wanted! Someone who determines what doohickey we need and who makes it and how to get it.
- Plumbing repair to restore central heat system and domestic water systems.
- Interior improvements: Willing to tackle heavy-duty cleaning (eg, degreasing)? Sanding & painting, restoring tile floor in the otherwise restored galley.
- Mechanical/engineering: We need parts of connecting rods taken off a spare engine block, and there is always mechanical tinkering to do.
- Welding: We need some light welding repair in various places.
Varied admin and creative work: We seek a volunteer coordinator, someone good at communicating with people and getting folks here to run ship tours or TankerTime. We can use specialized skills such as historical research, and book conservation. Can you organize a photo archive, edit sound and video?
Help run events: Want to enjoy sunsets afloat? We seek volunteers (2 per night) to expand our Sunset TankerTime from the 2016 schedule of Second Sundays in summer. We need greeters and ship docents (we train!) for public programs, and helping hands at program and fundraiser events (where you get to have a good time too!).
Educational program development: Do you work in education? We could use your input to grow our education programs.
Organizing stuff: Great at tidying closets? We could use you! Our tool crib, electrical locker, paint locker and storage area for catering supplies could use an organizer wizard.
PortSide NewYork and the historic ship MARY A. WHALEN are on Pier 11, Atlantic Basin, Red Hook, Brooklyn, NY 11231. This is a evocative location sandwiched between the hip cultural center Pioneer Works, the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and the Red Hook Container Terminal. Our view sweeps from the Statue of Liberty to the Freedom Tower.